The Airedale Terrier Club of Northern Ohio is a group of enthusiasts with a common thread – our Airedales.
We share common interests:
The Airedale Terrier Club of Northern Ohio was founded in 1941. It is the regional club for Airedales in this area. The ATCNO is recognized by the Airedale Terrier Club of America.
Any person interested in the above and in good standing with the American Kennel Club is eligible to apply for membership. Our intention is to serve the Northern Ohio area, although this is not a barrier for membership. Applicants must attend one meeting of the membership before submitting their application.
Membership dues are generally $5 per person. (See constitution). We typically meet once each two months, with our annual meeting occurring in March. Our meetings are usually held at the homes of members, and we always try to include the dogs when space permits. We also have Airedale Fun Days, group outings, and we are known for our support of a specialty at the Canfield Dog Show each summer.
For more information, feel free to email our Club secretary, Ms. Ellen Gordon. Click here.
Information from the historical files of the club:
During the middle and late thirties, Airedale entries in the Cleveland and Ohio area had fallen alarmingly, many shows having one or two entries! The express purpose of organizing the Airedale Terrier Club of Northern Ohio was "improving quality as well as quantity." The highest aims are still adhered to.
The Airedale Terrier Club of Northern Ohio was organized and had its first meeting Sunday, March 30, 1941. The organizers and charter members were Mr. William Laffer, Mr. Joseph Nichols, Mr. Gene Rogers, Dr. Dudley Hain, Mrs. Louise Smith and Mrs. Cloyd Kerlin. The first show the club sponsored was the August, 1941 Chagrin Valley Show and we were pleased to have an entry of 21. Dr. Haines' 11 month old male Cloverleaf's Johnny Takeover went Best of Breed, finishing his championship. We became affiliated with the parent club and held our first specialty in conjunction with the Lorain County Kennel Club's annual show on September 23, 1945.
The Club became affiliated with the Parent Club on November 30, 1944. The Club had 35 members.
The Historic membership applications contained this pledge:
I, ____________, as a lover of Airedales, pledge myself to: